Travel Diary: London

An exciting last few months it’s been! Since I last posted, I’ve finished both fall and winter quarter, and am now just starting my last quarter at the University of Washington as an undergrad.


I also had the opportunity to study abroad for one week on a career trek in London (as you probably figured out from the title of this post). The trek involved visiting various employers in the area to get a better sense of being a global worker, meeting alumni who now work overseas, and understanding the journey from post-graduate life to full-time global employee. This experience was absolutely amazing, especially getting to meet different employers and getting to know students from so many different walks of life. Not only was I able to refocus my goals for post-grad life, but I was very humbled to be among people who have worked so hard to get to where they are.

This post might be a little bit all over the place, but I’ll try to include my favorite places, must-see/must-do things, tips for traveling, and a reflection of my week abroad.

1 – My Favorite Places

The following list are must-see places in (and around) London. The UK is full of so many exciting things that if I could, I’d probably list them all, but for now, these were my favorite experiences.
  • Harry Potter Studio Tour – Your childhood will come alive! Being in the Great Hall, seeing all the costumes, and walking around the original set brought back so much nostalgia. All I wanted to do was watch and read Harry Potter!





  • Churchill War Rooms – The history in this space is so deep, imagining life during the Blitz and World War II. The War affected all corners of life, beginning in Europe and really devastating the continent. The world can be an ugly place but with determination and will, there’s always hope that atrocities won’t prevail.

  • National Portrait Gallery – I’m a bit of a history nerd, so these old portraits were astonishing. Pieces from the 1500s to today were displayed all around the building, broken up by era. The artistry that goes into these paintings involves so much skill and patience, and some paintings are so well done that they last centuries.
  • Buckingham Palace & its parks – I just wanted to visit the Queen. I’m kidding, but Buckingham Palace is massive! And the walk to get there is so beautiful with the surrounding parks and nature, especially when the weather is nice and there are daffodils everywhere.





  • Tower Bridge – Definitely an iconic tourist attraction but Tower Bridge is so beautiful. There’s also quite a bit of history behind the bridge (I believe it was built in the 1800s?) and the architecture is quite impressive. Also, it’s great for photos!

2 – Career Experience

My whole purpose for going abroad was to learn more about being a global worker. I’ve been exposed to diverse cultures from a young age being an immigrant from the Philippines and living in countries like Azerbaijan and Singapore before coming to the United States. My friends came from all over the world and I loved getting to know their stories. Growing up with this background, I always imagined myself traveling and working abroad in different countries, exploring different cultures, and immersing myself in something new.


However, when I moved to the US, that dream changed because all around me people just wanted to get a job, work, and stay put. That dream almost became mine but my curiosity around different countries and cultures persisted (which is also why I’m still an International Studies minor), leading me to this study abroad.



While in London, I along with a group of University of Washington students visited different companies in different industries, including US companies that expanded abroad. I heard stories from employees about how they ended up at Google or EY or Wieden + Kennedy. Alumni shared their hardships with us and told us their stories of starting their own companies (UrbanStay UK). Most importantly, the fire within me to explore the world was reignited.


Everyone I met had a different story as to why they moved to London, even if it took 15+ years!

I just want to say thank you for all of the alumni who so graciously hosted our group at their workplace, and for sacrificing the time to tell us your stories. I’m so grateful for all your kind words and advice, and want you to know that you’ve inspired me to find my place in the world – whether in the US or abroad.

3 – Traveling to/from London

On a different note, I want to give some tips and tricks when it comes to traveling to and from London. Here’s a list of travel tips if you fly to/from London (Heathrow):
  • CREAMS ARE CONSIDERED LIQUID – I cannot stress this point enough because I was stopped by security on my way back to the US. My creams were considered liquids and had to be put into a little baggie before I was allowed to go into the airport. The UK is much more strict than the US when it comes to liquids, so it may actually be easier to check-in all your toiletries minus necessities.
  • Clorox Wipes – Did you know planes are pretty gross? Well, if you didn’t, they’re filthy so make sure you bring some Clorox wipes to wipe down your headrest, seat, tray table, and arm rests. 
  • Medical Mask – As I write this, I’m sitting on my couch sick with a cold. Planes recycle air and if someone (or many) are sick on the flight, you might get sick too. Use a medicine mask during the flight to better avoid those nasty germs. 
  • Cleansing Wipes – I brought baby wipes and makeup wipes with me so I could refresh during flights and layovers because honestly, traveling takes a toll. You’ll feel way fresher, I promise.
  • Spare Clothes – If you're checking a bag, pack a spare set of clothes (including undies and socks) in your carry-on in case your checked luggage goes missing. If you do this, you’ll at least have one set of clothes while you shop for more and can change out of your gross travel clothes. 





Thank you so much to Andy, Susan, and Emma for being such amazing coordinators, and thank you to all the lovely people I met on this trip! I’m so happy to have met all of you and know that every single one of you has touched my life in one way or another.


For all my readers out there – take a chance and if you can, study abroad! Being overseas is such an amazing experience that allows you to meet so many different people, experience entirely different cultures, and pushes you past your comfort zone. You’ll be braver, you’ll be more adventurous, and you won’t regret it.

Comments

  1. Joy, you were such a JOY to have on the trip. Thanks for engaging and making the most of this experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts