My First Career Transition

Hey Google, how do you write a two-week notice?

I spent hours trying to write a good resignation letter and countless moments worrying about the conversation I’d need to have with my manager.


We’ve all heard about The Great Resignation at this point, perspectives from managers or organizations about why, Forbes and INC articles, etc. I was a part of this movement and this is the story of my first career transition.


Hello, if you’re a new reader and don’t know me, my name is Joy and I work in marketing! I graduated in 2019 and went straight into my field--which I’m very thankful for because it solidified that I really do want to do this. It's now mid-2022, we’re over 2 years into the COVID-19 pandemic, and the world of work looks incredibly different from when I started after university.


I spent 2021 thinking about what my future could look like in the next few years and what I always wanted, even when I started my first post-grad job, was growth. But what did that look like? What job title did I want? What job description did I resonate with? What more did I want to learn?


Before I move on, I want to make it very clear that my first team was incredible. We were close-knit and had great communication. I never felt I couldn’t speak up and I knew my manager wanted what was best for me, regardless of where my career would take me. What I learned from my first role was invaluable: how to work with teams, organizational culture, and what I want in a team and leader. These are all people skills you can't get at just any organization. So to my last team, thank you for preparing me well for my long-term career journey.

So Why Did I Move On?


I’ll be blatantly honest and say that a big reason was compensation. I live in a high cost-of-living city, owe a decent amount on student loans, and also want to live an enjoyable (within reason) life. While the pandemic made it hard for many organizations to give raises or promotions, they were still happening at many companies. And I knew it was possible to earn more, especially after vaccines became readily available and the world started to open back up.


But compensation wasn’t the only reason. Like I said above, I wanted growth. I wanted to know what a promotion looked like, what my next step could be, etc. I didn’t see a clear path at my previous company, so I started looking.


The world of work has changed so much and like those Forbes articles tell you, employees don’t just want free snacks and a pop socket. Employees want: 

  • To be paid what we’re worth

  • Work-life balance

  • Flexibility (i.e. WFH)

  • To work for a company that aligns with their values


Every peer I’ve spoken with has said these same things, and every peer that’s made the transition tells me a lack of the above are the reasons they left.

A Message to my Peers


Telling my manager and team I was leaving was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do in my career so far (yes, I know there’ll be harder moments, but I’m in my mid-20s). I felt so much guilt with my decisions, but I was given an offer that lined up with my personal career goals.


I’m lucky that that team was so supportive. It was bittersweet but I wasn’t treated any differently in my last couple of weeks. They wished me well and we’re still connected online! To my peers:


Don’t let that guilt stop you from pursuing what’s best for you. A company can make you feel like a big part of the team, but you still need to make decisions that benefit you because companies can figure it out without you. If they don’t, it isn’t your responsibility either.


My guilt stemmed from feeling like I was disappointing my team and making them feel abandoned. There was also a lot of fear that my next team wouldn’t have the same level of camaraderie, or that I wouldn’t have a manager as kind and understanding.


What I’ve learned now is that every team will be different because they’re made up of different people. In your interviews, you get a glimpse into what that team could be like and usually, your gut will let you know if something is a good fit or not. I’d interviewed with several companies, but the one I chose felt right. My gut told me it was fear that was causing intrusive thoughts--that this was the right next step for me!


Regardless, you’ll always learn so much at each job and if it’s truly the wrong fit, you can try again. How you do that, though, is up to you.

A Message to Organizations


To organizational leaders--your employees are telling you what you want.


We’re in a world where employees realize they can move; that they can have flexibility; that they can work for someone whose values align with theirs. More and more, employees are also realizing they deserve to be paid what they’re worth.


If you’re higher up, do you remember what life was like at 25? This isn’t a question for comparison but rather a question to show how much the world has changed. Some questions for you to think about:

  • How much college debt did you have?

  • Did you have to work while in school?

    • Did you get paid minimum wage? Was that enough to pay for all your bills?

  • Were you able to afford an apartment on your own?

  • Were you able to afford a house on your own after graduating?

  • How diverse was your company? Who were they hiring?

  • How did you get your first job? How much noise did you have to break through to be seen by hiring managers?


In 2021, the average borrower has $38,792 of debt; in 1990, it was $13,530 (adjusted for inflation). In 1990, federal minimum wage was $3.80, which is $7.60 in today’s dollars. Median rent in 1990 was just $447 ($885.15 in today’s dollars), compared to 2020 at $1,104. 


Even getting a job--if you went into a company’s office today and asked if they were hiring, it would be weird. Companies want you to apply online; they want you to talk to their recruiters. They don’t see you or talk to you until your interview (though maybe a potential phone screen). It’s awesome to see so many tools, but so many people don’t know how to use these tools. They don’t know how to make their LinkedIn stand out or even how to turn on the ‘Open To’ function.


What I’m getting at is this: pay employees fairly to streamline the decision-making process. No matter how great your culture, no matter how awesome “perks” might be, employees still want to be paid fairly. Perks are just that--perks. They’re add-ons to a job, not a part of your total compensation package. 


This way, you'll get the right candidates to screen by being transparent about salaries. You can focus on their people skills, their fit with your team, and their credentials. Wouldn't that make the whole interview process easier?


You need to find a way to pay people what they’re worth, especially as more and more people are empowered to seek new opportunities. And as a side note, there are tons of awesome people on social media sharing secrets about landing better roles, negotiating salaries, and interviewing better. These are all assets to potential employees who now know the opportunities that exist and are no longer exclusive to a select group of people.

Ok, and?

What all this boils down to is that as an employee and potential candidate, do what’s best for you. Always make sure to take care of yourself first so you can best take care (+ empower) those around you. As a hiring manager or employer, you need to realize that The Great Resignation isn’t just people getting bored. It’s people feeling empowered to do what’s best for them and realizing they’ve got more power in their hands than they think.


I see it as a cultural shift where we can start changing corporate America to be more inclusive, to pay us fairly, to have companies pay attention to their values and really solidify who they want to be in the marketplace.


These last two shifts in my career has made me feel so much more confident in myself and my abilities. I’ve already learned so much and my long-term career goals have become clearer and clearer.


If you’re where I was just last year, listen to your gut and take the chance. Utilize those resources and be a part of this cultural shift--be a part of changing corporate America to better suit our current era.


Comments

  1. Not because I'm your big Momma that I'd like to give you the highest Kudos, but I have seen your growth speeding up, from a baby I used to carry and play with, to a little girl who was talkative, then a typical teenager who was always right in her opinions, transitioned to college and I thought she was getting better in her relationship with mom, and now fully grown adult and married of coursed moved out from our home sweet home. But thanks that you never fail to come and visit us and sometimes work from our house. I hope your brothers will not get jealous if I boast that my daughter is the dream of all moms and the dream of many men to have a partner/wife like her. Just to say that I couldn't be more prouder because I am very very PROUD of my only daughter. Love, Mommy :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts