Self-Love and Confidence

First of all, Happy International Womxn’s Day! Today is a day to #PressforProgress and celebrate the progress we’ve made in the last century, decade, year, month, or even just today. Did you take the time to self-care? Did you finish a final? What have you achieved today?

Photo Credit: Genelyn Jaye Photography

I think one of the biggest achievements I’ve celebrated over the course of my life is my growing self-confidence. This is an issue ton of us struggle with. We sometimes hate our bodies, looking in the mirror is so hard, or some days our acne just seems to be screaming to the world.

When I was younger, I was so awkward and shy. I didn’t think I was beautiful by any means because of my wild hair and chubby cheeks. I wasn’t athletic, I wasn’t flirtatious. I remember looking at my stretch marks trying to make them go away because I hated how they looked on me. How many of us have had these toxic thoughts in our minds? Why haven’t we practiced self-love?

I won’t lie, the journey to being comfortable in my own skin was really hard. It’s an ongoing challenge that I continue to face. Some days, I love myself wholly and other days I feel so insecure.

This photo took a lot of courage to post because I've struggled with confidence my whole life.

We all struggle together, and together we can #PressforProgress and show the world how amazing womxn are! Read below on how to encourage self-love not only for yourself, but for others as well.

1 – Love Others

Let’s be real, we all get catty and we all get petty. We’ve all (as in the words of Tina Fey in Mean Girls) said something mean about other girls. But let’s learn to love! Even for womxn you don’t know, show them some love. If someone (even someone you aren’t a fan of) feels down, don’t kick them lower. Treat them the way they want to be treated. This isn’t to say baby them, but instead try and guide them with love and reason. 

Here's to my momma who made huge sacrifices to get me to where I am!

2 – Celebrate Others


How amazing does it feel when others celebrate you – your achievements, a beautiful photo, a milestone? I know I always feel an amazing boost to see genuine kindness spread all around. Celebrate other womxn! Tell them “wow, you’re amazing and you’re beautiful!” Remind them of their worth. You’ll feel just as amazing knowing you’re encouraging others instead of wallowing in jealousy. 

Celebrate the strong womxn in your life.

3 – Work on Yourself

These last few months, I’ve sought to become the best version of myself I could me – not just for others but for myself! Of course I have my days when I’m down or I realize I’ve been more negative, but remember that growth is a continuous process. Always find ways you can be a better you. Do you want to be healthier? Find a way to stick to exercise or healthy diet! Do you want to smile more? Notice when your face muscles go down. Do you want to make new friends? Sometimes all it takes is a simple “hello” to a stranger.


Happy International Womxn’s Day! Celebrate all women every single day because we are amazing! 

"Our backs tell stories no books have the spine to carry." -Rupi Kaur

Want to connect? Email me coffeecreamcollege@gmail.com or follow me on Instagram @officialjoybartolome

Comments

  1. Beautifully written... Happy International Women's Day princess.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts