Travel Diary: Hawaii Day 1 & Traveling Alone

Hello my lovelies! This summer was supposed to be a time for me to focus on my blog but instead, I've gotten swept up in other activities and freaking out about my future. With the school year starting (in literally 2 days), I took one last trip to the island of Oahu to visit my best friend!

This trip was pretty impromptu and I left with only a slight idea of what I would be doing - very unlike me if I'm honest. I've always been a planner and I almost always do research before visiting a new place. For the most part, I traveled around the island alone since my best friend is a real adult with responsibilities but I honestly had a blast doing it! If I'm honest, company would have made those adventures way more fun (and I wouldn't need to use my backpack as a tripod), but I slowly grew comfortable taking selfies and asking strangers to take my photo.

So, what did I do in Hawaii, and how did I manage being alone? Keep reading. Oh, and warning now that all my photos were taken from my phone because cameras are expensive and I didn't have a photographer, but that's okay!


Day 1

My best friend was feeling under the weather so she graciously lent me her car (LOVE YOU LOTS) to go exploring. I knew for sure I wanted to visit Pearl Harbor and take a walk around the historic site, not quite sure what I would find. I saw tours online and when I arrived, I ended up touring the USS Bowfin Submarine. Next time, I would definitely take the time to see the USS Arizona, but that's on Ford Island and you would need to take a shuttle to see it (unless you have military ID). 


I've always had this weird interest in WWII because of the way it connected the world, the way it affected economies and cultures, and the impact it had on individuals and their relationships. In one way or another, our lives have been touched whether it's through ancestors or a long line of military service within our families. Walking around imagining how Pearl Harbor looked on December 7, 1941 made me feel somber, especially reading the names of people still entombed inside the USS Arizona. The world we live in has been shaped by past events and we never know what's to come.


After Pearl Harbor, I realized I should probably eat something and made my way into the city to grab coffee from Olive and Oliver on Lewers Street. The drive didn't take too long and when I got there, I was super excited by the cute cups because why not take joy in the little things? Excuse the poor photo, I kind of forgot to take a photo because I just wanted food and to walk around. Shoutout to Shalom for suggesting this place! Weird thing is that they get their coffee from Seattle... where I'm from.. so...

After coffee, I grabbed poké and headed to Waikiki!




The Dole Plantation was next. I rode around the Pineapple Express (lol) and walked around the gift shop! It was really cool to see how pineapples grow and the little baby pineapples in the public garden. I also loved the music they played on the ride and the drive to the place was pretty!




Last stop of a long day of adventuring was the little town of Haleiwa. It's in this little town you'll find the cool mural of the angel wings. I bought some post cards to send to my cousin, took a photo with the wings, drove around, and made the long journey back to my friend's apartment!


It was getting late by the time I started driving back, and my friend warned me that there were no street lights where I was. The drive back was honestly so beautiful though. The heavy traffic didn't even bother me because I could look out into the mountains and see sunlight breaking through the light layers of clouds. My photos don't do justice to how amazing the sights were!


I would have loved to share the view with someone but it was also very peaceful. All day people wondered why I was alone (and also if I was a local). I took a photo at the Dole Plantation alone with the pineapple, asked for tickets for one, walked around Pearl Harbor, and took selfies for quick photo opps.

Being alone was uncomfortable and took time to adjust to. I say be comfortable with the uncomfortable! Travel alone, sight see by yourself, use your backpack as a tripod - no one's going to remember. Appreciate setting your own schedule, too. My last thing to tell you all would be to also be smart. Be aware if someone may be following you, keep track of important belongings, and never go to an area that feels unsafe (and research areas to avoid if you're alone).

Travel diary part 2 will come soon, outlining outfits I wore and things to do in Hawaii, so stay tuned!


Have you traveled alone? What's your experience?

Comments

Popular Posts