Date Night on a Budget

“I’m so broke” is one of the most common phrases I say/hear as a university student. We tend to work minimum wage jobs, campus jobs, etc. and end up blowing all of our money on food we don’t need. Even if you’re not in college, I’m sure lots of you can relate to this feeling.

For those of us in relationships, budgeting for date night can get tedious, but we want to do something fun with our significant others – other than watching movies and cuddling on the couch. We want something more adventurous or romantic or scenic right? 


I know I do.

While I definitely have a taste for fancy dinners with cocktails or Broadway shows, I can definitely appreciate humble nights out. Sometimes they end up being more meaningful and fun than extravagant dates in the city. Being only 21, I definitely have learnt to appreciate these quieter nights because sometimes, it’s all I can do. Below are 5 date night ideas on a budget, in cities or elsewhere!

1 – Hiking

The most expensive part of this date is really the travel portion because you have to save for gas (unless you live in Washington like me and hikes are everywhere). One of my favorite hikes was Snow Lake heading towards Eastern Washington. We spent the day walking, talking, sitting by the lake at the end of the hike, and just enjoying each other’s company. 


Make sure to pack snacks/sandwiches, though. And lots of water! One of the bonuses was after we got back, we found a small drive-through and got some milkshakes. Well, actually we shared a single milkshake.

2 – Picnic in the Park 

I absolutely LOVE picnics! I love just sitting on a blanket, playing cards, throwing a frisbee, reading books, eating snacks, cuddling, talking, etc. My boyfriend and I have one park as our go-to here in Washington. It’s actually the place he asked me to be his girlfriend almost 4 years ago.


All you need for this date? Snacks or homemade food, a blanket, and entertainment. If you’re feeling fancier, get/borrow a picnic basket, make fancy sandwiches, and bring colorful fruits in glass containers. You can even bring glasses and champagne. Preferably, find a park with a nice view and shady trees, farther away from huge populations of people.

3 – Sunsets 

On the same picnic date, you can go watch the sunset and stay till dusk. Or you can take a drive somewhere you get a good view. There’s a scenic route in Tacoma where you look over the water and the sun turns different shades of orange, pink, and purple. There are always nice places to see the sunset, whether it’s your backyard, roof, on a hill, on the boardwalk, etc. You don’t have to pay for anything, except a way to get there. You can hold hands, lay your head on their shoulder, and just enjoy the company.


Snacks are still great though! I’ve done this date both as a picnic and as a walk, where I just kept snacks in my purse or we bought something to eat and took it somewhere to watch the sunset.

4 – Work Out 


I know this one won’t be super popular but hear me out! Working out is honestly so rejuvenating and having someone by your side to encourage you makes it that much better. Trust me, I used to hate working out and my mile time was horrendous. Once you get into the groove of things, though, it gets way better.

Hiking is also a workout!

My boyfriend and I in recent years have started our anniversary day off with a workout – whether it’s just going on a 3-mile run in the neighborhood or a gym session where one of us had a membership (or even the community center!). Sure, we’re sweaty afterwards but it’s something we do together that makes us healthier and feel great about ourselves. If you’re not too keen on this (yet), you can always start with a walk or a half-mile run or a yoga vinyasa!

5 – Backyard Barbecue or Bonfire

If one of you has a backyard or a grill, have a barbecue! Grill some burgers or veggies (which you can definitely get on a budget), bake a potato on the grill, and roast some marshmallows! Prepping things in the kitchen is fun because you get to do it together, then grilling outside when it’s nice is super relaxing. I can imagine a light breeze, the sound of a bonfire crackling or burgers on a grill – all in the late afternoon. You can eat dinner then sit by the fire just talking, listening to music, singing to each other, or just staring at the fire thinking of how wonderful it is to have your significant other by your side. 


Date nights are always so much fun, especially when they’re with the person you love. If you’re looking to ask someone on a date, read this. If you’re looking for a cheap date option, read this. If you’re looking for a change of scenery away from eating out, read this.

Dates don’t have to cost you a fortune. The most important thing is just enjoying the time you have with someone (or for those of you going on your first date, getting to know them!).


What’s your favorite date night? Follow me on Instagram @officialjoybartolome

Comments

Popular Posts