My Boyfriend Graduated Marine Bootcamp

Hello dear readers, it’s been a minute! A lot has happened since my last blog post, but the biggest news is that my Marine graduated from boot camp! This post is going to be a recap of what happened, all the tears and emotions, and I’ll write about the 10-day leave and having to see him off in a different post.


Let’s start from the beginning. My boyfriend has wonderful timing because not only did he leave in the middle of my midterms, he also graduated in the middle of my midterms (still love you honey!). About a week before Family Day, he completed the Crucible and officially earned the title Marine. Those 54 hours he was out in the wilderness, I had my Crucible candle lit in solidarity. It represented the light to guide him through the final stretch. I couldn’t sleep those 2 nights in fear that he would get hurt but you have to trust that they’ve made it this far and will be okay. When he got back, his actual words about the Crucible were, “it really wasn’t that bad.”



When he became a Marine, I had one week left before I could wrap my arms around him. That week went by slowly and quickly at the same time. Personally for me, it was likely due to the fact that I had so many midterms to study for that I didn’t have time to relax. I ended up taking that week day by day, thinking of the tasks I had to complete.

Wednesday eventually rolled around. I took my midterm that morning, went to my last class (well, half of it), packed up my final bits and bobs, then headed for the airport! I honestly couldn’t believe that the day to fly out had come. Part of me sat there wondering if I had conjured up an entire 3.5-year relationship in my head. Was he even a real person? Is this my imagination? No, not it was not.

That whole flight I stayed up, writing in my journal, looking at old pictures, trying to process that in less than 24 hours, I could hug my boyfriend for the first time in 3 months. I could hear his voice, his laugh, and feel his arms around me. That night at the hotel, I couldn’t sleep – my sleep schedule is also very awkward because of college but that’s normal.

Arriving at the Depot the next morning was SO surreal. I ran into the friends I had made over social media who were also there to meet their Marines again. I got to the Depot around 8 AM and watched them practice on the Parade Deck (which is HUGE). They announced his name because he graduated as Platoon Honorman and I squealed!

The Motivational Run begins at 1030. There are tons of events going on but I wanted to get a good spot. Note that you cannot stand by the buildings, stand by the cones when you get a spot! Luckily, I was right in the front (thank you to everyone who let me in front of them because I’m short!). All the Guides were lined up at the end of the pathway and they began walking with their Guidons. My Marine stopped almost in front of me! He told me later that he had seen me pretty early as well as the rest of his family.


Soon, the Marines started arriving and made their way to the cheering crowd. Each platoon had a section where all the Marines stopped while someone else introduced them. They ran past twice, the second time being behind me so I bolted to where the cones had been placed about 15 feet behind me. Apparently it was a 3 mile run! The end of the run was at the Depot Theater. I bolted over there as fast as my little legs could go and ended up RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. I knew he had seen me because he winked at me and kept making eye contact, but had to maintain his seriousness (which honestly made me laugh more than I already was). Seeing him interact with me, even through a wink, melted my heart. I still couldn’t believe that he was standing right there. He could see me, I could smile at him, and I was on top of the freaking world!

I meant RIGHT. IN. FRONT.

They eventually had to run back and Liberty Call wouldn’t be until 1230. Honestly, the wait wasn’t awful but I was so antsy the whole time! I ended up going into the Depot Theater for Marines 101 to learn about the Corp, but left early to wait outside for 30 minutes because I wanted a good spot. Sure enough, 1200 rolls around and you see them start to march towards the Depot Theater again. This time, they’re all dressed in their service uniforms. I could still see my boyfriend because he still had the Guidon. Honestly, the 20 minutes I had to wait for them to arrive and make the announcements was a blur.

Photo Credit: MCRD San Diego

I literally shook my legs, my heart was pounding, and all I could do was look at him. Eventually, “GO GET YOUR NEW MARINES!” rang through the speakers.

I ran.

Next thing I know, my arms are finally wrapped around my Marine and I’m bawling because I can’t believe the wait was over. 13 weeks of loneliness and missing him were erased as soon as I had him back. I held on so tightly and the joy I felt was indescribable. I no longer felt incomplete because my other half was finally with me again!


Liberty went by so quickly. We got lunch, walked around the Depot, and went to Starbucks. They really aren’t joking when they say your new Marine will eat like crazy (love you babe!). I loved hearing his stories and meeting his other platoonmates! The Depot is massive and the weather was beautiful. I highly recommend going to The Bayview to get lunch! Long line but the food was yummy and the location is gorgeous.

Take lots of pictures! While he was away, I had looked through pictures and realized I didn’t have enough of us just cuddling or hugging or funny selfies. I took this opportunity to get as many photos as I could with him because I wanted to remember his face. Liberty was scheduled to end around 1700 but they had to give us their bags and things because they wouldn’t have time after graduation to pack up their things from their squad bay. This means they leave earlier than when Liberty actually ends and while it was sad to say goodbye, I wasn’t upset or emotional because I knew that the next day I’d see him again!

For their graduation, GET. THERE. EARLY. Seats fill up so quickly in the reviewing stands! The ceremony begins around 1000 and for the most part, you’re just watching them march. The Marine Band was pretty entertaining to watch! After the hour-long ceremony, they were released (given their final order) and we were free to take them home!


The pride I felt seeing him officially finish his time at MCRD San Diego was immense. 13 weeks of hard work, of mental testing, of physical pains – all of it added up to the title Marine. Not everyone can do that.
Babe, I am so proud of you. Congratulations! After all the things we’ve been through, we made it past these 13 weeks. After all of the obstacles you’ve faced in life, you’ve found something that has pushed you to grow and become an amazing man. I love you to the end of this ever-expanding universe and back! I hope Marine Combat Training is treating you well. I miss you, and you have my heart forever and always.

Love,
Joy 
I’ve learned so much about myself these last 3 months. I’ve learned patience, loneliness [sucks], the strength and resilience within me, and just how much I love my now-Marine. Take this time apart to grow in yourself. Become the best you can be for your soon-to-be Marine. Reflect on how you can improve your relationship, how you can put your significant other forward and have the balance of still taking care of yourself.

I don’t regret a single second of my Marine being away. He made 13 weeks worth the wait, and makes the next chapter of this journey worth it.


Want to read more? Follow me on Instagram! @officialjoybartolome

Comments

Popular Posts