Starting the Year Off Right

2017 was a whirlwind. One year ago today, on January 1st, my life seemed to be going in a totally different direction than it did. There were so many “what ifs” and uncertainties that I really had no idea what this past year would become.

2017


2017, though I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as an overall “good” year, showed me a lot of growth and as time progressed, I definitely found myself happier and more proud of the person I was becoming. I remember wanting to start off 2017 by picking up the pieces of 2016 and making something of it – I can gladly say I have. Going into 2018, I want to continue this upward trend of growth, find greater direction in my life, and start to focus on what will matter to me in the long-run.

We’re all different people, but here are some ways I want to start 2018 off right!

1 – Positivity

Years ago, I always said, “I’m a pessimist” and laughed about it. I considered myself a realist and set expectations so low to avoid disappointment. In 2018, let’s all look from a different perspective, and yes set realistic expectations, but don’t fear disappointment. Take things that “go wrong” in stride, learn from those experiences. It’s okay to be sad and hurt, but find ways to pull yourself out of that mindset and truly help yourself. I personally started looking from different perspectives, listening to other peoples’ life stories, realizing my privilege, and been grateful for all that I do have.

Photo Credits: Genelyn Jaye Photography


2 – Stress

This last year, I kept telling myself to keep busy because I knew fall quarter would be hard if I didn’t keep myself occupied. Here’s the thing, sometimes all these activities stress me out instead of keeping me busy [in a good way]. Be honest with those around you about your limits, and don’t hesitate to tell people that you need a break or want to go MIA for a while. If they don’t understand, then they don’t understand but what matters more is your well-being.

With whatever stresses you hold, find healthy ways to release them. Maybe it means isolation from people, social media, etc. Maybe it means running outdoors, lifting, or yoga. Maybe it means writing or finding a creative outlet. Do what works for you!

3 – Self-care

I cannot express how important it is to take care of yourself and understand your limits. Personally, I don’t think pulling all-nighters is something to be proud of. I’m more proud when I’ve balanced my schedule to allow myself sleep and meals and down-time. College culture is a breeding ground for competitiveness that makes phrases like “oh, you slept 8 hours?” sound like “you aren’t working as hard as I am because you actually slept.”

How about being a change in this culture and being more responsible about taking care of yourself. Sometimes, it’s okay to sacrifice a night out to sleep more or study. It’s also okay to sacrifice eating out to save money or opt for a healthier meal. Steps like these can give you peace of mind – whether it’s financially or knowing you won’t be exhausted during lecture.
 
Coffee breaks needed.
Photo Credits: Ryann Funk

4 – Toxicity

When there’s toxicity or poison in your life, the best thing is to suck it out, right? At least that’s what Lindsay Lohan says in Mean Girls. A lesson that took me years to learn is to recognize when you’re in a toxic environment. Sometimes, all you hold onto are memories of yore, or maybe the environment you’re in has become toxic. It isn’t healthy and personally, it took a toll on my mental health. Toxicity made me more negative and unhappy, and that isn’t something I want to carry into 2018. As hard as it was and as long as it took to make a change, I did it and I feel a huge burden lifted off my shoulders.

NYE 2018
If your 2017 was amazing, I hope these vibes continue to 2018! If your 2017 was hard and you felt low, I hope 2018 brings you growth and peace. A new year is another chance for you to become the person you want to be, so let’s start the year off on a good note and remember the blessings – big or small – that are still in your life/coming to your life!

Comments

Popular Posts