Boyfriend in Bootcamp: Past Phase 2

Hello my lovely readers! And welcome to whoever is reading my blog for the first time! The last few weeks, I’ve been feeling really good because as of the New Year, my boyfriend is in Phase 3 and as I type these words, I’m 26 days away from being reunited with my soon-to-be Marine.
Photo Credit: Genelyn Jaye Photography

As my boyfriend writes in his letters, the last few weeks have been “a doozy.” There were moments where time flew and other moments I wondered why it was only a Tuesday. So much has happened and I’ve experienced a rollercoaster of emotions.

A few weeks ago, I hadn’t received a letter in a long time and it seemed as though everyone else was hearing from their SOs four times a week. I’ll be honest, if you’re just now going through your boyfriend leaving, you might break down – I definitely did. Here’s the thing, it’s okay. Every time I write, I’ll tell you it’s okay to cry and be sad because your feelings are always valid.

What I have learned in the last two months is that positivity can work wonders. I mean, don’t suppress your feelings and pretend you’re okay. Be honest with yourself about your capacity that day, accept that you’ll always miss your SO while they’re gone, but also find things that make you happy! My personal favorites: online [window] shopping, watching movies, working out, researching new recipes, hanging out with friends, etc.

I want a plant.
Photo Credit: Ryann Funk

So, here’s the meat of this post – what I’ve learned/experienced during Phase 2:

1 – Camp Pendleton

Your recruit will be extremely busy. My boyfriend says that they get up at 0400 in the morning to shoot on the range and spend essentially the entire time practicing techniques. From what I hear, it sounds pretty rough over there, but of course everyone’s experience is different!

2 – Time flies

I have to say, Phase 2 flew by. For me it might be because of the holidays passing, but also because Phase 2 is only three weeks long instead of four. At this point, I’ve also learned to keep busy and cope. Nearing the halfway point, I was so focused on feeling happier and being productive that the halfway point came and went.

Time flies when you're having fun!
Photo Credit: Genelyn Jaye Photography

3 – Letters

This is my personal experience, but I received the most letters during Phase 2. Four of them came on the same day, one a few days later, then three more the following week. Maybe I was lucky, but definitely connect with others in the same company and see how they’ve been! Here’s another thing, when you don’t get letters in over a week, you might break down. Let yourself cry and know it’s okay because a letter is coming. The end of Phase 1 keeps your recruits so busy because they’re doing their final qualifications to continue.

4 – Support

If you don’t know, there are Facebook groups for your specific company! I joined the Delta Co SO page and met a network of women going through what I am and made lifelong friends along the way. These people know what I’m going through and are there for me even though I haven’t met them in person, and you’re there for them when they need it. This support kept me from going crazy the last few weeks because not many people understand what you’re going through. There’s an entire network of people going through boot camp/basic/academy relationships for the first time and with the internet, it’s so easy to connect with them! A few people have messaged me on Instagram and it’s amazing the connections you can make!

From the Delta family - Brooke. She's kept me sane!

5 – Love

With my boyfriend being gone for two months today, I feel like I’ve fallen in love more. I think about my recruit every single day, songs can trigger the biggest emotions, and random memories bring the biggest smiles. You’ll end up re-reading your letters almost every single day (and have a favorite letter) and you’ll miss your recruit all the time. Reflecting back, I appreciate him so much more and those petty arguments are so useless. When he’s back, I want to be the best I can be for both myself and him. This is a goal I hope others try to achieve because this experience will affect your relationship. You want to learn from what you’ve been through, you know?

Before we started dating.
3.5 years on January 18, 2018!


I can’t believe that I’m [approximately] 3.5 weeks away from seeing my boyfriend for the first time. Some moments have been hard, but he makes all of this worth it. For all of you just beginning your journeys, remember that this will come to an end! I tell myself this all the time because boot camp isn’t forever. And for those in the Delta family, we’re almost there!

Follow me on Instagram @officialjoybartolome


Comments

Popular Posts