What I've Learned After 12 Weeks of Strength Training

 Hello dear reader (did you read that in Lady Whistledown's voice? No? Oh, well, carry on).

It's been quite some time since my last blog post--though I've written this same sentence for quite a few blogs by now. Life gets in the way and honestly, I write when the creative juices are flowing and this panoramic has definitely drained some of that energy. I can't be the only one, right?

Portrait of Joy by Genelyn Jaye Photography at Bradley Lake Park.
Photo by Genelyn Jaye Photography

Anyway, that's probably not why you clicked on this blog. You clicked because maybe you're my mom or dad (hi!), or you're actually interested in reading about my strength training journey from the last 12 weeks (that I didn't tell anyone about).

The journey started when my lovely fiance said, "Hey, I wrote you a program and I want you to do it. And I need you to trust the process." I said sure, why not, though not without hesitation. The program was all about building strength using heavy (HEAVY) weights. I'd be building up each week, finding my maximums, and ending the program hopefully much stronger than I started.

Joy and her fiance at Dumas Bay.
My lovely fiance who always believes in me 🥰

So, training commenced the week of December 13th since I'd been feeling in a rut from all the holiday fun. I was surprised to know I could already lift heavier than anticipated! Knowing that got me PUMPED to keep going, but I was weary of what those results would be because cutting conditioning to 2 days a week seemed... wrong? Not sure what word to use, but I was worried my cardiovascular strength might suffer.

And honestly, I was really worried about my body. I'll be honest, I've had body issues for a long time (as I'm sure many of us have had). I remember being 12 years old, thinking that not eating or throwing up might solve the problem. I was fortunate that I didn't go too far down that path.

Photo of Joy at University Village in Seattle, Washington.

My biggest worry about my body was my stomach area. It's where I gain all the weight. I have small hips and my limbs are pretty slim. But they tone easily! You can ask my brother (hi, if you're reading) because we've got similar body types--build muscle easily, but gain weight in our midsections. I've always been self-conscious about that particular area and avoided overly-fitted clothing. I didn't think strength training would change the physical look of it or my mindset. Well, here's what I learned after these last 12 weeks:

I've gained SO much confidence and appreciation for the body I'm in!

Did I lose body fat? I honestly have no clue. Did I lose weight? I don't think so, it seems like I've just maintained. But did I feel like an absolute beast, lifting all those weights? YES I DID.

My maximum deadlift was 250 pounds--250!! My squat? 200! My chest press? 100 pounds! Like, holy cow, I started at 130 pound squats and deadlifts! 

Photo of Joy in Downtown Tacoma.

There's this stereotype of women only doing cardio because we're afraid of "looking too bulky." We want to be toned with flat tummies and big butts, but we're afraid to pick up the heavy weight, which surprise, is how you get those big butts to start with! When I started, I'll be honest, I wanted the big butt and I did it with aesthetics in mind.

And sure, aesthetics still play a role in why I train, but it's so much more than that. I'm 5'2" and I can lift HEAVY. I love that in a way, I'm breaking the expectation. I'm not here to look small and petite. I'm here to lift weights you wouldn't expect out of someone with my stature. I want to turn mens' heads because I'm lifting heavier than them! I want to show other women what it means to be STRONG.

Guess what? I still haven't lost my belly pooch. I've still got rolls and squishy bits. But do I care about them as much as I did? No, no I don't. Years ago, even at my skinniest (116 lbs), I wouldn't dare wear tights and a sports bra to the gym because of my small butt and small hips and rolls. I would feel SO self conscious of my belly. Of all the jiggles. And honestly, I cried more than I thought I would in the last 12 weeks as I had to shift my mentality that your weight =/= your worth. Nor does weight tell the whole story.

My favorite matching set by Athleta in Hearth Rose.
Week 11/12

Today, those rolls and jiggles a part of me! Could I get healthier? Everyone can! Life is all about balance. Eat those veggies, but feel okay eating pizza on a Friday. Make lasagna, but also make sure you're getting enough protein and vitamins (I recommend making smoothies, they're delicious). Have an 80:20 ratio of nourishing yourself and enjoying life!

I didn't think I'd get to a day I could wear a matching set to the gym and feel good. I'm not 100% confident and I've got my insecure days, but they're fewer and fewer. I'm still working on wearing a bodycon dress and fitted jeans with fitted tops, but one day, I hope to get there.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep training and start a NEW program that's all about toning muscles while continuing to build up that strength. I want a 250 lb. deadlift to feel EASY. I want a 200 lb. squat to feel like nothing! With patience, I'll get there. And I'll continue appreciating my body as this journey continues.

Photo of Joy on her last day of this strength-training program wearing Zella capri tights and a fitted Calla cropped tank.
My final day of this 12 week program (03/05/2021).

Would you try strength training? Do you want to start strength training? Connect with me--let's talk!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts