A Reflection of My Privilege

Today is Friday, May 29th, 2020. This week started with Memorial Day and an incident with Christian Cooper in New York's Central Park. A white woman called the police, accusing him of threatening her life. A viral video proved that wrong and we're reminded of the dangers the black community faces--such as wrongful accusations not caught on camera.

A mere 24 hours later, news broke of George Floyd. He was wrongfully murdered by a police officer in Minneapolis. This sparked more outrage as the world watched a black man begging for his life. I. Can't. Breathe.

There are now riots, demands for change, pressure from the public calling out racism and wrongful killings of black folx. Derek Chauvin, Floyd's murderer, has been arrested.

And it isn't enough. Not until black people are no longer murdered for simply existing. Not until there's no more racial injustice. Not until white supremacy ceases to exist.

To my black friends, to our black brothers and sisters--I support you. I love you. I will fight for you.

Filipinx for Black Lives
Image via @KalaMendoza on Twitter

Where Do You Fit In?

In my conversations with those around me, our hearts are hurting. We start to realize more and more how we will never truly understands the struggles of being black in America. Many of us feel powerless, like we don't know how to help. We feel our voices don't reach far or make a dent in fixing systematic racism.

Well, a small action is still an action. No, posting on social media and tweeting doesn't bring back George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, or Breonna Taylor. So what can it do? Use your online voice to call out racism. Make a statement about not tolerating racist and anti-black comments or behaviors. Make your stance known. 

Use your small (but mighty) platform to share resources like the Minnesota Freedom Fund. Share stories of black CNN reporters being wrongfully arrested and express your anger. You might lose "friends" but are those the people you want in your life? Expose those who won't condemn white supremacy. Expose the ignorance and the protection of a system made for white people. Make them think about their role in protecting white privilege or their own non-black privilege.

What else?

Now is the time for you to start evaluating your own privilege. What are mine? Though I'm an immigrant, my life has been filled with privileges that others don't get to experience. As a kid, I attended international schools. Up until I moved to the United States, I went to private schools where all the other kids had similar privileges. Another privilege? Growing up, my parents stayed together and my family life was stable. My parents supported what I wanted to do and provided what they could. I got a car when I turned 16, didn't need to work (and chose to once college started), and could focus my energy on academics and after-school activities. I have a college education and never doubted that I could get through it. Sure, I'm in debt (most of us are), but I had the support to go to school. I had the support to succeed and graduate. I have the privilege of having a job and PTO. I have a roof over my head.

For all my privileges, I'm thankful.

The next step is to use my privilege to make a change. Am I the wealthiest person in the world? No. But extra funds go to supporting causes I believe in like the George Floyd Memorial Fund. I can sign petitions, send emails and texts, demand change by calling officials. I can learn more about racial injustice and study black history.

And this is where you can make a change. EDUCATE yourself and others. SIGN petitions. Send EMAILS or CALL officials. DONATE if you can, even just $5 can help. Seek out resources to help you recognize your privilege and bias (there are some courses online you can take for free!).

And for God's sake, STOP BEING SILENT. Complacency or "staying neutral" means you're part of the problem. No, it's not enough to simply say "I'm not racist." You must be actively ANTI-RACIST. Call it out in your own community (Filipinos aren't innocent of anti-black sentiment). Speak up when you hear others making racist comments, even when it's uncomfortable. Yes, standing up for what's right IS uncomfortable, but those who change the world are the ones who embrace that discomfort and are okay making others uncomfortable, creating a space for their voices (and those whose voices have been silenced) to be heard.

"Your privilege is not a reason for guilt, it is a part of your power, to be used in support of those things you say you believe. Because to absorb without use is the gravest error of privilege...How much of your lives are you willing to spend merely protecting your privileged status? Is that more than you are prepared to spend putting your dreams and beliefs for a better world into action?" -Audre Lorde

Resources:

George Floyd Memorial Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
Minnesota Freedom Fund: https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/
Justice for Breonna Taylor: https://justiceforbreonna.org/

There are SO many more out there, so if you know of any more, please comment and share below!

If you're still at a loss, here are 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice (via Medium). 



Comments

Popular Posts