A College Guide to Business Casual

It’s been a long time since I’ve written about something not boot camp-related, but I’m feeling some type of drive! This week, I’ve been stressed out with upcoming midterms, organizational meetings, work trainings, and just trying to live life. On top of that, I leave this Wednesday for San Diego to see my now Marine!

Being a college student, it’s sometimes hard to balance out our social lives, work, clubs, classes, etc. We feel like we’re drowning and as we get closer to end of our time here, reality starts to hit that we’ll soon be working professionals (I’m only a year and a half away!).

Many of us don’t know what “business casual” means, especially during our first year when I only owned one blazer. Today, not only am I sharing some business casual looks, I’m sharing my “hacks” on how to get this professional wardrobe on a budget!

Photo Credit: Genelyn Jaye Photography


1 – Shop outlets!

I love this dress by Banana Republic. It was originally $100 and I found it for $23 at an outlet! Outlets have great deals on sale so make sure to check out those stores you wouldn’t normally walk into.













2 – Thrifting

The pants I’m wearing are actually thrifted! They’re an Aritzia brand and I scored them for $8. One person’s trash could be your treasure.
 


3 – Sales

There are certain times of the year sales happen. Post-Christmas/January has been my favorite time to shop when stores are trying to get rid of their winter pieces. The thing is, among these winter pieces are also neutrals and basics that return at a higher price later in the year.




4 – Styling

My final tip for dressing up in business casual clothing isn’t where to get your clothing, but rather how to take a simple piece and make it more professional. My secret? BLAZERS. I now own about 7 (maybe more?) blazers, mostly in black and white. Sale seasons (shoutout to H&M) have the best basic pieces where prices can go from $34.99 to $10.




The basic pieces for business casual are really just blazers, slacks, and an appropriate blouse! It doesn’t have to be a button up or chiffon or ruffled. Make it your own and let your personal style shine through!




Shop My Looks!
  • Floral Top (H&M) - not the exact one, but similar vibes! 
  • Trousers (thrifted) - again, not the exact pair, but similar 
  • Navy Dress (Banana Republic) - exact match; more expensive than I bought it for 
  • White Blazer (H&M) - the one linked here is from Forever 21

Comments

Popular Posts