Why I'm Thankful for the Hurt

You wouldn’t think to be thankful for the pain you’ve been through. In fact, you think you’d be angry at feeling this way. Feeling like the world is falling apart around you, feeling alone, your pride hurt, emotions running wild. Maybe in the moment, you weren’t thankful for the pain.
I know I wasn’t.

November 11, 2016
Photo Credit: Natty Photos

A year ago today, I was in a very rough spot in life. I had lost interest and motivation in school, I was lonely, I walked around with a fake smile glued to my face. My heart was beaten and battered, not really handling the mounting stresses well.

That was one year ago. Now, a year later, I realize that all those personal issues I went through created the person I am today. Would I have learned the lessons I know any other way? Maybe. Who would I be if I hadn’t been dragged through the mud?

Looking back, I would imagine myself a completely different person – less grateful, too prideful, unaware/ignorant of other people. From all that I’ve been through, I’ve learned that everyone goes through hard times, everyone is hurting in some way, shape or form. You need to ask others if they’re okay because the world doesn’t revolve around you, even when yours feels like it’s falling apart.

Life has a funny way of working itself out – as long as you put in the effort to make life better. Like I’ve said before, moping all the time and allowing the pain to permeate your mind and fill your thoughts is dangerous. You aren’t allowing any positivity into your life.

I have a friend – my sorority sister actually – that is the brightest ray of sunshine you’ll ever meet. If you met her, you wouldn’t think that her life was ever hard. She’s the epitome of positivity and a prime example of how keeping yourself positive creates a healthy environment for you. You’re spreading the joy as well as accepting it.

Positivity is contagious
So thank you for the hurt. Thank you for the experiences I’ve been through. Thank you for helping me become the person I am today.

Comments

Popular Posts