Boyfriend in Marine Boot Camp: Week 1 Update

Hello dear readers! It’s been 1 week (well, 6 days) since my boyfriend’s been gone at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego. It’s still been rough, but you know, we make it through.\

So, what’s new?

First of all, this week went by much slower. It felt like every day lasted more than 24 hours, that every hour lasted more than 60 minutes, and every minute went by like a microwave minute. You know, like when you're waiting for your food to heat up?

I also realized this week that I’m allowed to be sad. I’m allowed to cry and mourn and mope. Here’s the thing – you can’t do that forever. Life moves on and it’s still happening around you. My professors aren’t going to pause the course for me to catch up because I’m sad. I still have to be on shift and be friendly to guests at work. And I still have to take care of myself.

I’ll be honest, the first few days were extremely difficult. I spent all of Monday crying, all of Tuesday moping (and studying), and Wednesday I talked about my boyfriend all day. Since he left, I think I’ve lost 4 lbs. because I couldn’t even think of anything but him. My appetite went away and food I tried to eat was really unappetizing.

It took time and self-reflection to remember that my recruit doesn’t want me to be sad. He wants me to take care of myself and still be happy. Yes, I’ll keep missing him think of him every day, every hour, every minute I can. Yes, I’ll write him letters every single day and pray he gets them. And yes, I’ll keep sleeping with the jacket he left behind for me. The biggest change I need to make is to be healthy – physically and mentally. I have to keep telling myself that my recruit won't forget me.

So this week, I want to make a change. This week, I want to get on top of school work, get onto a workout schedule, and meal prep to the best of my abilities. He’s going to come back looking all lean and handsome (even though let’s be real, I think he’s already extremely handsome). If he comes back looking that amazing, I want to match up and make it a competition (yeah, I know he’s gonna win because he’s training basically 24/7).

Thinking this way makes me so much more excited for his homecoming! And it keeps me more positive which in Seattle during this time of year, I’m sure we all need. Staying positive is probably one of the most important things you can do for yourself during this time. Don't go crazy reading horror stories and have confidence in your loved one that they're going to be okay at boot camp.

I just want to give a huge thank you to all of my friends that have been there for me, the people who check on me, and for all of the love I’ve received from different people all week. You guys have helped me a lot and I can’t thank you enough for helping me put my mind at ease.

For all you ladies/men going through this, we can do it. Our loved ones will be back and we’ll be there for them through it all!

Distance means
So little
When someone means
So much

Comments

Popular Posts