The First Letter



Today marks 2 weeks since my boyfriend left for the Marine Corp Recruit Depot (MCRD) in San Diego. Today also marks the first letter I’ve received! After a long day of work and classes, my mind was focused on getting home to check the mail knowing that this week was when letters would start coming.

Seattle decided to pour cats and dogs today, and even though it’s Monday, my morning started out with a smile (at 5 AM) for some odd reason - maybe a sign that something good would happen? I went to work, went to class, interviewed a candidate for a project, and went to the library.

I started my walk home later in the afternoon thinking of the mail. Would anything come today? I got excited at the possibility. The walk seemed so much longer not only because of my anticipation, it was still raining.

When I finally got home, I ran into my apartment, grabbed the mail key, and ran to our box. I couldn’t open the box fast enough and when I did, I saw a small envelope behind a larger one and my heart started racing. I snatched the envelope and the address was from my love!

No editing

Running back inside, my hands shook as I ripped open its contents. Inside was a small letter written 5 days ago (November 15th) but postmarked for November 17th. Today is the 20th so it took approximately 3 days!

Hearing from my recruit after 2 weeks of silence filled my heart with so much joy (haha, get it, because my name is Joy?). Even though the letter was very brief, knowing what he was up to made me so happy! An update on him: he’s already sick and has no voice, but he feels like he’s succeeding. 

I’m so proud of him for everything he’s doing. He’s finally finding something that gives him more motivation and purpose, something to give him direction, and he’s content with the decisions he’s made. And even though I still miss him like crazy, I’ll always support his dreams.


Photo: Genelyn Jaye Photography


Some FAQs:
· When did I receive his address?

I received his address one week after he left. He had forgotten to connect with me on the Sandboxx app (get it if your S.O. is leaving soon and connect!). I did some digging and spoke with representatives, and they connected me on their end. After that, I sent him a letter via the app and started to send my written letters (yes, I write him a letter every single day).

· How long until I received my first letter?

It’s been two weeks since he left on November 6th. He says the first chance he got to write and receive letters was on November 15th (9 days). The letter was mailed out on November 17th, and I received it on November 20th (3 days).

· Where do I live, and how does that affect when my letter gets to me?

I live in Seattle, WA. Since it’s a large city where mail is constantly sent out and brought in, my letters are likely sent out and received faster. The closer you live to a major metropolitan area, the faster your letters will come and go (at least that’s the rule of thumb). Sandboxx sends out letters overnight as long as they’re written and “processed” before 5 PM EST (for me, it’s 2 PM).

· How long was the letter?

The letter was really short. The paper itself was tiny, the size of a smaller planner and it had 3 holes on the side (like it was in a binder). He wrote front and on half of the back! He said “expect more from me later!” so I assume he was writing to other people, too.

Want to connect? Email me at coffeecreamcollege@gmail.com!

Comments

Popular Posts